Sunday, March 20, 2016

Insight on Characters

It's pretty clear that this play is full of pretty interesting characters, and they all have a few issues that they're dealing with. But it's also obvious that the main character is Nora. She's developed an image for herself in only one Act. She's big on lying but is an expert at hiding it. In front of Torvald she acts like an innocent person but in reality she's been lying to him most of the time. It's a difficult situation and I have sympathy for her , because in her conversation with Mrs. Linde she had to defend herself  "You're like all the others- you none of you think I could do anything worth while." (Ibsen, pg.158). Although she had to defend herself, all liars are eventually caught. I don't think it was right for Krogstad to blackmail her like that but I also disagree with the fact that she hasn't told Torvald about the money. Sooner or later the truth will come out and either way she'll end up with a disreputable reputation.

Torvald, he thinks so little of Nora. It's pretty clear that he does because he calls her things like featherbrain and squirrel. Torvald is oblivious to what Nora's doing and has done. He just see's her as "A woman!" (Ibsen, pg. 148), and a gold-digger which I think led or influenced her to do the things that she has done. Although he still doesn't know that Nora provided the money, I think he should know about it. Maybe that way he can stop thinking so little off her. But also near the end he says that what Krogstad did was the most evil thing anyone could've done and that liars corrupt their house, their marriage, and even their kids. I don't think that his views towards Nora or women will change, but maybe if she told him about everything it might be enough to make him change his mind. In the end, it could go either way but we don't know yet so I guess we'll just have to keep reading.

QOTP:
Do you think it's right of Torvald to belittle Nora?
Should Nora tell Torvald about the money?
If her secret does come out, what might happen?




Husband and Wife?
Or
Father and his Daughter?

5 comments:

  1. commented on:
    Britney (per. 1)
    Hannah (per. 1)
    Emilia (per. 6)
    Andrea (per. 7)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that it's extremely wrong for Torvald to be belittling Nora. If my significant other were to belittle me, they would be seeing little birds flying around their head. Nora should tell Torvald about the money. She should've BEEN told him about the money. It may be a bit late but, it'll sound better coming from her mouth than, anyone else. Especially Krogstad. If her secret comes out - which I believe it will - it won't be the greatest thing in the world

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and it's terrible that Torvald doesn't treat Nora as an equal but a pest. I do think Noras secret is going to come out, lies always don sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora should tell Helmer just to shock him.

    ReplyDelete